Packing a Beach Bag
Ahhh another Labour Day long weekend! At this time of the year some folks host BBQs, a lot of people head out of town, others pack away their white pants and people like me head to the beach. Here’s a guide to packing the perfect beach bag.
- The Tote. Get a decent-sized bag that can fit all your necessities. Ensure it has large straps so that you have the option of slinging it over your shoulder in case you have to carry a couple of Venti cups that are actually filled with booze.
- Distractions. I easily get bored [lithe body-watching gets tired after a few minutes]; I need a variety of activities so that I can jump from one to the other and back. My recommendations for stuff to bring include two magazines, a book, iPod, inflatable beach ball and dollar-store binoculars for
a close-up of the new lithe body that just arrived on the scenebird watching.
- Food & Drinks. Depending on my mood I may bring a cooler, but prefer to outsource the task of bringing one to someone who drives. Taking all those things on the subway is just a headache. Ensure to bring a variety of food – mayoless sandwiches [heat + mayo + time elapsed = poor man’s colonic], crunchy snacks and fruit. For drinks opt for juice boxes, cans of soda and bottles of wine. The Venti cups offer a gentlemanly way of breaking the law of drinking in public. That is, unless you live in New Orleans.
- Sun Protection. I’ve asked my dermatologist and she believes that SPF 40 is more than enough. If you’re tanning a few minutes of baking is enough to give your skin that sun-kissed glow. After tanning slap on some sun screen and once home, slather on aloe vera gel. And don’t forget to protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses.
- Towels. Beach towels, simply put, are a pain. They take up an inordinate amount of space and once wet they are extremely heavy. I prefer to use a sarong/large scarf to sit on and to dry off I use a swim towel – as big as a placemat but more convenient.
- Ziploc Bag. This is to provide water-proof packaging for your cell phone, iPod, camera and wallet.
Looking forward to seeing you on the beach!